independent auditors' report to the members of Rexam PLC
We have audited the Company financial statements of Rexam PLC for the year ended 31 December 2011 which comprise the Rexam PLC balance sheet and the related notes. The financial reporting framework that has been applied in their preparation is applicable law and United Kingdom Accounting Standards (United Kingdom Generally Accepted Accounting Practice).
respective responsibilities of directors and auditors
As explained more fully in the statement of directors’ responsibilities, the directors are responsible for the preparation of the Company financial statements and for being satisfied that they give a true and fair view. Our responsibility is to audit and express an opinion on the Company financial statements in accordance with applicable law and International Standards on Auditing (UK and Ireland). Those standards require us to comply with the Auditing Practices Board’s Ethical Standards for Auditors.
This report, including the opinions, has been prepared for and only for the company’s members as a body in accordance with Chapter 3 of Part 16 of the Companies Act 2006 and for no other purpose. We do not, in giving these opinions, accept or assume responsibility for any other purpose or to any other person to whom this report is shown or into whose hands it may come save where expressly agreed by our prior consent in writing.
scope of the audit of the financial statements
An audit involves obtaining evidence about the amounts and disclosures in the financial statements sufficient to give reasonable assurance that the financial statements are free from material misstatement, whether caused by fraud or error. This includes an assessment of: whether the accounting policies are appropriate to the Company’s circumstances and have been consistently applied and adequately disclosed; the reasonableness of significant accounting estimates made by the directors; and the overall presentation of the financial statements. In addition, we read all the financial and non financial information in the Rexam annual report 2011 to identify material inconsistencies with the audited financial statements. If we become aware of any apparent material misstatements or inconsistencies we consider the implications for our report.
opinion on financial statements
In our opinion the Company financial statements:
- give a true and fair view of the state of the company’s affairs as at 31 December 2011;
- have been properly prepared in accordance with United Kingdom Generally Accepted Accounting Practice; and
- have been prepared in accordance with the requirements of the Companies Act 2006.
opinion on other matters prescribed by the Companies Act 2006
In our opinion:
- the part of the remuneration report to be audited has been properly prepared in accordance with the Companies Act 2006; and
- the information given in the directors’ report for the financial year for which the Company financial statements are prepared is consistent with the Company financial statements.
matters on which we are required to report by exception
We have nothing to report in respect of the following matters where the Companies Act 2006 requires us to report to you if, in our opinion:
- adequate accounting records have not been kept by the Company, or returns adequate for our audit have not been received from branches not visited by us; or
- the Company financial statements and the part of the remuneration report to be audited are not in agreement with the accounting records and returns; or
- certain disclosures of directors’ remuneration specified by law are not made; or
- we have not received all the information and explanations we require for our audit.
We have reported separately on the consolidated financial statements of Rexam PLC for the year ended 31 December 2011.
Robert Milburn (Senior Statutory Auditor)
for and on behalf of PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP
Chartered Accountants and Statutory Auditors
22 February 2012